In today’s society, raising healthy, active kids can be difficult, but having healthy kids is important. Many children are now going through life struggling with being overweight or obese and suffering from a chronic condition like diabetes, heart disease, asthma, and high blood pressure, among many others.
Here are some ways to help your family and children eat better:
- Start every day off with a healthy breakfast
- Let the kids help plan and prepare one meal each week
- Eat more vegetables and fresh fruits. Aim for a total of 2 cups of fruit and 2 ½ cups of vegetables each day
- Drink plenty of fluids, like water, low-fat or nonfat milk, and low-calorie beverages
- Serve food in small portions
- While eating better is an essential way to maintain a healthy lifestyle, it is also important to get kids up and moving as frequently as you can.
- Try to get between 30 and 60 minutes of physical activity each day
- Include physical activity in your daily routine: walk as a family before or after meals, or go play your favorite family sport together
- Remain active in the home and get the kids involved and help with chores like dusting and vacuuming, or go walk the dog together! These small activities add up and are good ways to burn calories
- When planning vacations, be sure to include activities like hiking or biking to the itinerary
- Limit TV, computer, and video game time to less than two hours per day; less screen time, more physical activities instead!
By following some or all of these tips, we hope that you and your family can begin the journey to living a fun, healthy, and active lifestyle!